Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Joy From Hatred

Lately I have been pondering several topics that are most definitely controversial.  However, I feel freedom in this community of bloggers as I might should feel in other social networks. I must say that I commend the blogging network on their acceptance of the open forum concept.

Sigh.

I think I will jump right in--

In light of the Starbucks debacle, I've seen so much unfold.  From the uncanny thirst for a Starbucks drink, I see that this entire situation has probably boosted their market.  That's my business mind.  But my spiritual mind is working hard to find truth and resolution--after all, I've already admitted my desire for control.

Here is my concern-Christians in America.  I preach to no one here.  I know the saying, "judge not lest you be judged."  But hear my observations, if you will.

It is the Christians who are deeply concerned about homosexuality overtaking our nation.  It is Christians who desire for the American nation to be under God.  It is Christians who want conservative morals and principles as the foundation of this great nation.  But is it not Christians whose actions, despite their words, in more ways than one (except, of course, the most obvious 10 commandments) reflect those of the rest of the world?

What are Christians doing to see to it that this nation remains under God's leadership.  How many Christians will forgo the luxuries of this first world?  How many Christians are against homosexuality, but justify their addiction to Starbucks with excuses.

If Christians want a change in America, if seeing Biblical principles is an absolute must, why is it that no one is willing to fight for it?  Why is it that there are too few who will boycott Google for having Caesar Chavez as their doodle on Easter?  Why is it that stores that give their proceeds to foundations that are so anti-Christian in their ethics are the very stores that Christians shop at?

Remember, I'm not preaching. And if I was, it might possibly be to the choir.

Here is my point, if not already made.  Christians are getting comfortable in this world that is not their own.  Doesn't the Bible say that Christians are to be in this world but not of this world?  So participating in the music of the world, the television shows/movies, the drinking, the language, the list goes on and on...participating in those activities is what?  A witness, a way to connect with people of this world?

Sounds like missionary living.  You know, like missionary dating--dating someone with a different belief system for the sake of conversion.  Ever seen the chair analogy?  Most often, the missionary gets pulled down to the level of the person being witnessed to.

 I digress.

It's a simple call.  Either nothing changes or everything changes.  There are no cheat days.  There's no supporting with the mouth but not with the actions.  Faith alone is not enough.  Faith without works is dead.  Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.

It's painful, it's grueling.  Living every single day surrounded by the most "innocent" temptations.  A secular song with a catchy hook, a friend that's constantly spewing curse words, a glass of wine that does the heart good.  Where is the line?  Don't Christians believe that Satan will take a foothold wherever he can?  Aren't Christians supposed to be set apart?

Separation of church and state?  Politics are important.  Ignorance is not bliss.  And those who refuse to educate themselves on political and social issues, those who refuse to involve themselves in standing up for Christian morals...Maybe it's only going to get worse before the Son of Man comes.  But oh to be before the Judgement Seat and be asked what role I played in being the salt and light to this world. 

"What blessings await you when people hate you and exclude you and mock you and curse you as evil because you follow the Son of Man.  When that happens, be happy!  Yes, leap for joy!  For a great reward awaits you in heaven."  Luke 6:22-23a

No comments:

Post a Comment